However you will get guarantee from the laptop manufacturer about the battery life, which varies from 12-18 months. But battery can stop working or reduce its run-time even before the guarantee period. We can increase the battery life of a laptop by taking some simple measurement while working with laptop.
Below are the few tips to increase the laptop battery life.
1. Avoid frequent discharge of battery because it puts strain on lithium-ion battery. Best practice is recharge your battery before it gets discharge to 40% level.
2. Avoid keeping fully charged battery at high temperature (specially for nickel-based batteries). For instance if you have kept your laptop inside hot car.
3. Voltage level to which batteries are charged plays important role in battery life. So use the appropriate adapter for your laptop while recharging.
4. If you have additional battery and want to use in later stage then Keep your battery at 40% charge level for prolong storage.
5. Screen of a laptop consumes significant amount of energy. If you do not want maximum brightness then decrease the screen brightness to save power. Adjust screen resolution. Check the OS for settings.
(Go to options > Display > Display properties > Settings)
6. WiFi and Bluetooth also use significant amount of power, so switch them off if not using.
7. Manage the optimum power scheme for your laptop. There are number of power saving plans in Window XP. These can be done by choosing right power options in control panel.
8. Laptop power scheme can be changed by choosing Control Panel > Power Options. Choose the option "Max. Battery". You can set the time to turn-off monitor, hard disk and system standby. After selecting a power scheme you click Ok button to finish the process.
9. Defragment your hard drive regularly. Defragmentation puts less strain on hard drive and so on the battery. Defragmention arrange the data more efficiently resulting hardrd drive works less.
10. Stop running unnecessary programs in background. Monitor them using ‘Ctrl-Alt-Del’ command which opens Window task manager and kill the unnecessary programs.
11. DVD/CD drives are more power consuming as compared to hard drive, so avoid excessive use of DVD drive.
12. Avoid charging other device such as iPod, USB from your laptop battery.
13. Regularly clean the battery’s metal contact. This makes the efficient power transfer from battery.
14. Avoid multitasking
15. Turn off auto save function in MS-word and Excell. Autosave function makes hard drive work more and so the battery.
16. Manage the speaker sound.
17. Switch off screen saver
18. Change the desktop appearance to Window Classic. In vista Desktop>preferences>ViewColor>Appearance>Window classic. For XP Display>Theme> Window Classic.
19. Increasing RAM also decrease the dependency on virtual memory which is by default hard disk memory. Increasing RAM also consumes more power but overall shaves power.
Avoid the memory effect
Older Ni-MH batteries have memory effect problem. Memory effects are actually the loss of battery charge when they are repeatedly charged after being only partially charged. This can be avoided by discharging the battery completely and then fully recharging it. On the other hand Li-Ion batteries have no such problems of memory effect. It means whether you partially discharge it or recharge, there is no issue with Li-Ion batteries.